Salt Institute for Documentary Studies

Located in Portland, Maine, the Salt Institute for Documentary Studies offers a 15-week immersion program for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in documentary writing, photography, or radio.
This blog is an update of current Salt students insights and musings.

9/16/2008

tension, release

I've been walking around for days with a throbbing headache, and an anxiety-riddled heart. It's early in the semester, and producing a story seems thrilling, but unattainable. Emotional involvement in my schoolwork aside, something's "going around" -- herbal teas and throat lozenges are ubiquitous--and it's possible I'm tracing my discomfort to the wrong source.

Regardless, listening to radio pieces at the start of each class offers a respite--a time to get out of my own head, when I'm guaranteed to think clearly (maybe even aptly!) about story construction, scene-setting. Eyes closed, it's a pleasure to listen and not to speak.

Today we discussed one of Joe Richman's "Radio Diaries" featuring a teenager with Tourette's alternately reflecting on (and succumbing to) his disorder. Rob identified this juxtaposition as "tension and release." I hold my pounding head at the temples, take note.

1 comment:

k-stohl said...

beware of the mono - three of us had it last semester. we got face masks for the photo room. it was awesome. not really. :)