Salt Institute for Documentary Studies

Located in Portland, Maine, the Salt Institute for Documentary Studies offers a 15-week immersion program for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in documentary writing, photography, or radio.
This blog is an update of current Salt students insights and musings.

10/28/2008

Bear Meat

I went back to the house to check on Becca, and Oceana greeted me with a red and yellow toy saw. 

"I'm cutting your paws off!" she played, sawing back and forth at my wrists.
"Oh, Oce," Becca said, coming over to where we stood on the rug. She got down on her knees to take Oceana in her arms.
That's when I knew how truly surreal the whole situation was. It's one thing for children to play hunter, it's quite another for them to have a dead bear arm soaking in their kitchen sink.

No comments: