Salt Institute for Documentary Studies

Located in Portland, Maine, the Salt Institute for Documentary Studies offers a 15-week immersion program for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in documentary writing, photography, or radio.
This blog is an update of current Salt students insights and musings.

3/16/2008

Roller Coaster

Man, this place fucks with you. Every day is a new high or low. Yesterday I felt at my highest, most proud. I was taking room tone, rolling from the time I walked up to my subjects to the time i left, I even used that lumberous, fluffy dog mic to block the wind while we took the Peak's Island Ferry. I was getting great ambience, quotes and action. I was enjoying my subjects and they were enjoying me. I wore my headphones the whole time (after another recent blunder) and felt really "on".

Only to have the rug pulled out from under me a few hours later when i realized my stupid bravado had gotten the best of me and i lost some valuable tape due to a stupid technical mistake (called not hitting record.)

I'm so dissapointed in myself. I lost sleep over it.

Salt really puts you face to face with your talents and your weaknesses on a day to day basis. It is painful and exhilerating. Painful and completely exhilerating.

No comments: